Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Read Bailey's book, The Weeping Time: Memory and the Largest Slave Auction in American History

The Silken Veil   
By Paula Koenigsmark

Weep but do not forget to
Quench the water from your eyes with the
Blazing fire of rage over the
Atrocities which beset the poor.


And why are there poor at all?
Who has set a price upon their poverty?
The valued treasury of slaves!


Upon whose ear rings the cries of the poor for deliverance?
He will lift them up to the cool, pure waters of heaven
Within a silken veil of tender mercy.

2 comments:

  1. I found this little poem I wrote around the time of International Human Rights Day last year. It is not brilliant, but it does reflect my feelings of frustration in that moment... Don't we all get frustrated with injustice, sometimes? I suppose I should have included it under my human trafficking post. But I hope you don't mind that it got it's own posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FYI- I corrected my typo error in the first line of the last stanza.

    ReplyDelete